How Can I Freeze Corn Tortillas?
Corn tortillas are great for Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos, and more. It can take a lot of time to make tortillas from scratch.
It’s a good idea to freeze corn tortillas if you want to stock them up in the future. The shelf-life of tortillas will be longer when they are frozen.
You don’t have to worry about re-thawing frozen corn tortillas. To make the most of freezing, we researched expert tips on how to freeze corn tortillas.
You can preserve freshness and taste by freezing corn tortillas if you plan to use them in the future. It is possible to freeze corn tortillas.
There are a few simple steps you can take to freeze corn tortillas.
- For store-bought corn tortillas, you can freeze them right away.
- To open a package, make sure to seal them properly and press out as much air as possible.
- If there are specific instructions in the package, you have to follow them.
Ziploc bags can be used to store tortillas if the packaging is not safe for freezing.
To keep their shape, tortillas need to be frozen in the freezer for at least six to eight months.
The shelf-life of tortillas can be affected by the temperature in which they are stored.
How close the tortillas are to the expiration date is one of the factors that determine the type of tortillas that are frozen.
It is important to thaw the tortillas properly after they have been frozen. If you want to know more about freezing corn tortillas, you should read further.
Freezing Corn Tortillas
You can save time in making your favorite Mexican recipes by freezing corn tortillas. You can make your tortillas by freezing store-bought ones.
If you have tortillas left in your pantry or refrigerator, it’s a good idea to put them in the freezer to prolong their shelf life.
If you follow the tips, corn tortillas will last for a long time in the freezer.
- You can freeze tortillas in their original packaging for any opened tortilla packaging.
- If you want to open a package, press as much air out as possible.
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil or Ziploc bags for packaging that is not suitable for freezing.
- When stacking tortillas in the freezer, flatten out the tortillas to maintain their shape.
- To prevent tortillas from sticking to each other when removing them from the original packaging, use parchment paper between individual tortillas.
How Long Do Tortillas Last in a Frozen State?
The tortillas made of corn flour can be kept in the freezer for up to eight months. It is possible to store tortillas in air-tight packaging for a long period.
The tortillas are wrapped so that no air can come in contact with them. The tortillas are wrapped to prevent freezer burns if you want to keep them in the freezer for a long time.
It is a good idea to keep the tortillas in their original packaging if you only plan to freeze them for a short period.
How Can I Thaw Frozen Corn Tortillas?
It is important to thaw your corn tortillas properly when you will need them. You can make or break your recipes by Thawing.
Some of the moisture sticks with the tortillas when they are frozen. There is some condensation on the surface of the tortilla.
It reduces the sogginess of the tortillas for your recipes with the proper thaw. It’s not a good idea to thaw corn tortillas using the microwave because it takes too long.
The heat can make the tortillas soft. When heated in the microwave, the flour will be very stiff. If you thaw using the microwave, you can lose some of your texture.
Thawing In the Refrigerator
The best way to thaw corn tortillas is to put them in the refrigerator for a night or two. This can be used for a package of tortillas.
It can take from 1 to 2 days to thaw in the fridge for bulk tortillas.
It is possible to get a few from the freezer if you don’t want to thaw them all at once. To thaw the tortillas in the fridge overnight, transfer them into a bag.
Open Flame Thawing
It is recommended to thaw the corn tortillas by an open flame. The Native Mexicans use this method to cook their corn tortillas. The steps in open flame thawing were shown here.
- The tortilla was completely wet with water.
- Your gas stove needs to be turned on.
- The wet tortilla should be placed over the open flame.
- Take the tortilla out of the oven and put it on the other side.
- The steps for other tortillas have been repeated.
Thawing Using A Skillet
You can thaw corn tortillas with a cast-iron skillet.
The corn tortillas can be warm for at least 15 to 30 seconds on each side. There are a few brown spots on the corn tortillas and they are ready for use.
Is It Possible to Freeze Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas?
Mission states that it’s okay to freeze their corn tortillas. Mission yellow corn tortillas can be used to make flautas or enchiladas.
Maseca is a corn flour brand that is the main ingredient in this product.
If you freeze, you can get a lot of Mission yellow corn tortillas for any occasion. This recipe can be tried with these tortillas.
Is It Possible to Freeze Mission Whole Wheat Tortillas?
You can also freeze Mission whole wheat tortillas, like other types of tortillas. There are tortilla wraps with fiber-rich ingredients such as chia & quinoa.
Mission whole wheat tortillas can be used as a substitute for bread.
At any time of the day, you can wrap anything that you want to eat. Before you use the tortillas, make sure that they thaw properly.
Is It Possible to Freeze Tortilla Dough?
If you like to make your tortilla dough, you can freeze it for later use. Make sure that the dough did not dry out before freezing.
There is frozen tortilla dough that can last up to 6 months. If you want to keep a stock of tortilla dough for later use, you can freeze it.
- The dough should be left to rest.
- The dough should be shaped into golf-sized balls.
- The dough balls should be placed on the baking pan.
- The pan should be covered with a plastic wrap.
- The dough balls should be put in the baking pan in the freezer.
- Wrap each dough ball with cling wrap after it’s frozen.
- You should transfer the dough balls to freezer bags after this.
- It’s a good idea to label them before they are put in the freezer.
Thawing Frozen Tortilla Dough
Before you use your frozen tortilla dough, you need to thaw it correctly. The steps on how to thaw frozen tortilla dough can be found here.
- The dough needs to be removed from the freezer.
- A lined sheet baking pan is where the dough should be placed.
- It’s best to thaw in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- The dough needs to be rolled to the desired thickness.
- You should cook your tortillas according to the recipe.
Corn Tortilla Ideas
Whole-wheat and flour tortillas are not as good for you as corn tortillas are.
Corn tortillas are filled with fiber and other beneficial vitamins and minerals. Corn tortillas have low levels of fat, salt, and calories.
Corn tortillas are a great choice for Mexican-inspired dishes. If you have a stock of corn tortillas, you can use them for quick meal ideas.
Storage procedures can extend the shelf life of corn tortillas by up to eight months. If they are properly thawed, corn tortillas work well.
The best way to thaw your corn tortillas is to keep them in the fridge for at least overnight. You can have the best-tasting corn tortilla recipes by following the tips above.
Foodie and a passionate cook, I am here to share all of what I know about cooking, kitchen, and food prepping.
Follow me for delicious and healthy recipes.