If you want to jazz up an ordinary meal or snack, prosciutto ends make a great addition.
Prosciutto is made of pure pork, cured with salt and herbs for 6 to 8 months. It’s traditionally served on thick slices of bread with sharp cheeses and fresh tomatoes.
Prosciutto is so tasty that you can add it to everything from spaghetti bolognese to salads. It makes even the most plain of dishes taste like something special.
If you are lucky enough to have prosciutto ends leftover from a ham or prosciutto sandwich, here is how to use them:
Use them to make prosciutto wraps. Roll up your favorite fresh fruit or vegetable and cut slices to fit into the prosciutto wrap.
Use them as a pizza topping. Simply cut the prosciutto ends and bake them on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese on top and broil until cheese melts and the prosciutto becomes crisp.
If you need some tips on how to use prosciutto ends, you’ve come to the right place.
The main thing to keep in mind when eating pork is how much meat you’re getting, not what your meat is.
While the latter is important, the former is more so because the quality of the meat will greatly affect the flavor.
With that in mind, this article will help you know how to cook up some amazing food using prosciutto ends. Let’s check it out.
Things You Can Do With Prosciutto Ends
Combine with Different Ingredients
Adding prosciutto ends to your favorite dish is a great way to jazz up any type of meal.
For example, you can use your prosciutto ends to cook with lentils, beans, green peas, cabbage, and many other veggies.
After you’ve finished cooking, you can remove the prosciutto ends. Your dish will have a different, meatier aroma.
Make Prosciutto Bread
You can cut prosciutto ends into cubes, add them to the dough, and make delicious prosciutto bread. If you want to spice things up, you can add various herbs, cheese, and mushrooms to the bread, and you’ll have yourself a simple but delicious meal.
Use as a Pizza Topping
You can use prosciutto as a topping on your pizza! Just chop up the prosciutto into smaller pieces and scatter it over the top of your pizza.
If you have a few extra pounds of chicken bones and meat, you might consider turning them into stock for the upcoming holiday meal. Simply simmer the bones in water and vegetables, and add flavorings and herbs according to your tastes.
You can use the stock as a base for developing different recipes and making different kinds of meals.
Use for Seasoning
Another way to use prosciutto ends is to add them to other dishes. Depending on the amount of prosciutto you have, you can use the ends for salads, purees, and sauces.
Add to Risotto
Prosciutto ends can be added to risotto for a nice texture. Chop the ends into small cubes and toss them in with the risotto.
Keep in mind not to cut the prosciutto into large cubes as they can be chewy.
If you have a food processor, you can make your meatballs using prosciutto ends. Just follow these steps.
Add the meat ends with hamburger mix, spices, eggs, bread crumbs. With these ingredients, you can create your meatballs.
Add to Tomato Soup
Prosciutto is a type of thinly sliced pork or ham. It is often used as an ingredient in many Italian dishes.
You can even use their ends in soup. They will enrich the soup’s texture and flavor. Once the soup is done remove the ends.
Recipes With Prosciutto Ends
Check out these amazing recipes you can try using the prosciutto ends.
- 2 cups of beans (need to soak them overnight)
- ½ lb. of prosciutto ends (with bones)
- 1 peeled onion
- 1 garlic
- 1 bunch of marjoram
- 8 cups of cold water
- Set the temperature of the oven to 300 F.
- Now remove the beans from the soaked water and rinse them.
- Now put the beans in a large pot and cover it with water.
- Cook the beans for five minutes and bring them to a boil. Remove the water.
- Mix the beans with the above-mentioned ingredients in a dutch oven and bring them to a boil.
- Now cover the dutch oven with a lid and cook for 2 to 2.5 hours.
- Now remove the garlic, marjoram, prosciutto ends, and onions from the beans.
- You are done and ready to eat the dish.
- First, take out the Italian bread or pizza dough and roll it to form a rectangular shape.
- Now cut the prosciutto ends and spread them across the dough.
- If you want the prosciutto ends to be crispy you can fry them for a few minutes before using them on the dough.
- Now add a bit of oil and roll the dough into a loaf.
- Bake the loaf according to your desired temperature.
Prosciutto Bean Soup
- 2 cups of chopped prosciutto ends
- 2 cups of beans (soak them overnight)
- 2 cups of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 ladles of bean water
- ¾ cup of water
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1-2 pinches of hot pepper flakes (This is optional)
- Put the beans in the pot and add water to it.
- Cook the beans until they become tender.
- Take another pot and put the prosciutto ends in it.
- Add some water and cook it for thirty minutes and drain the water completely.
- Now take a large pot and put the cooked beans and prosciutto ends along with the other ingredients mentioned above.
- Cook them for a few minutes until the sauces become thick.
Now you have learned how to use prosciutto ends. It’s great to know that prosciutto ends are so versatile, but why don’t you try using them in your next dish?
Besides being easy to use, they add a deep and rich flavor to every dish. I hope these recipes will inspire you to use prosciutto ends with other dishes as well.