It’s possible to preserve apples by freezing them, but you might be wondering what they can be used for once frozen.
Is it possible to make a good base for a refreshing smoothie with frozen apple chunks?
Can you still enjoy the nutrition in the fruit, and would there be any issues with the texture or flavor? We summarized the information in this post after looking into these questions.
Even during apple season, you can freeze apples to make delicious smoothies. Adding frozen apples to your recipe will boost the smoothie’s nutrition.
Different types of frozen apples can be used to create different types of smoothie flavors.
Adding apples to your smoothie is a great way to make it taste better.
Some great smoothie recipes are worth trying out, so read more to learn what to do with frozen apples.
How Can I Freeze Apples for Smoothies?
There are a few steps that need to be taken to get the apple smoothie- ready. If you already have apples in your freezer, you can use them there.
Preparing them can do wonders if you have the time. Depending on what works best for you, the preparation you make before freezing apples will be different.
Taking into account factors such as how much time you can spend on it, how you want your apples in your smoothie, and what you’ll be mixing them with is important.
You don’t necessarily have to peel apples when you freeze them. How the smoothie turns out can be affected by this.
Do You Peel An Apple for a Smoothie?
One of the first things to do when preparing a smoothie is to decide whether or not to peel apples.
Depending on your preference, this would be the case. The peels can be left for added texture by some people.
While keeping apples on will give your drink a chunkier texture, peeling them will give your drink a smooth consistency.
Other than an addition to the smoothie texture-wise, apple peels come with vitamins and minerals as well.
According to studies, a raw apple has higher levels of vitamins and minerals than a peeled apple. When making a smoothie, keeping the peels on is likely to give you more nutrition.
Cut apples should be placed in a bowl with water and lemon. This slows down the oxidation process so they can be kept from turning brown quickly.
Before you add the apples to your smoothie, make sure to remove the core and seeds of the apples. There is a component in these that can cause cyanide poisoning when consumed.
If you want to make a smoothie with apples, you can freeze them.
Freeze Them on a tray
The tray method is the most basic way to freeze apples. If you want to freeze only a few you can do this with a plate. Here’s how to do that.
- It’s a good idea to cut your apples into the size you prefer.
- Cut apples should be placed in a bowl with water and lemon.
- If you put the apples on the paper, it will keep them from turning brown.
- They should be left to freeze for a short period.
- When the apples are ready, move them to the freezer bag.
Turn Them Into Ice Cubes
A way to use frozen apples in a smoothie is to make them into cubes. This is a great way to have fruit in your drink. This is what it looks like.
- Attach your ice tray to your apples by cutting them into chunks.
- You can fill your ice cube tray with apples after dipping them into your lemon water mix.
- If they appear too dry, you can add a small amount of water.
- It will be able to freeze better because of this.
- They should be allowed to freeze.
- You can put the cubes in your drink, or pop them into the blender when they are completely frozen.
How Long Does Apples Last Inside the Freezer?
When apples are kept in the freezer, their shelf life increases more than if they were left in the pantry or chilled.
The quality and freshness of fruit can be slowed by the freezing of them. The freshness and nutrition of the fruit can be preserved if the fruit is properly frozen.
Apples can last for up to 12 months in their best condition if they are properly stored in the freezer.
They may still be safe to eat even after this period if they were kept frozen before being eaten.
Even though fruits have a best before date, they don’t necessarily mean that they will be spoiled past the date.
Estimates of how long the fruit will stay in its best quality under regular conditions are provided.
Why Don’t They Sell Frozen Apples?
Even though the shelf life of apples is longer, they don’t sell them frozen in the fruit section at the grocery store.
You might think that it’s odd, but a lot of care goes into these apples before they reach stores.
During a particular time of the year, apples are only available for harvest.
To keep them fresh for the next harvest, they have two types of storage: regular refrigeration and a controlled atmosphere.
When it’s time to distribute apples to grocery stores and markets, they are kept refrigerated until the season ends.
They stay in the big warehouses at temperatures between 34 to 38 degrees. Apples that will be sold a long time later are handled through controlled atmosphere storage.
The warehouse’s temperature has been greatly lowered.
The purpose is to reduce the levels of oxygen to hold the growth process of apples. When apples are moved from storage, they go through little to no difference.
There are five refreshing recipes for you to try after you know how to handle frozen apples.
Classic Creamy Apple Smoothie
- There are frozen cut apples, frozen cut bananas, peanut butter, and milk in your ingredients.
- You can put the fruit, milk, and peanut butter into the blender.
- You can increase the amount of water by 2 to 3 liters.
- When smooth and liquified, blend until smooth and liquified.
- If you want a slushie-like consistency, add ice and blend until smooth.
- You can serve now.
Apple Pie Smoothie
- Prepare your ingredients: frozen cut apples and bananas, milk, plain yogurt, oats, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Take apples and bananas and blend them.
- Continue to blend the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- If you want to blend it again, mix it in with the ice.
- You can top it with oats, cinnamon, and syrup.
Apple Berry Mix Smoothie
- You’ll need frozen apple ice cubes, bananas, strawberries or raspberries, and coconut water or milk.
- Add the apple ice cubes to the blender after you’ve put all your ingredients in.
- Continue to blend them until they are smooth, adding more ice if needed.
- If you want to serve, transfer to your cup and serve.
Yogurt and Apple Smoothie
- Low-fat yogurt, frozen apples, honey, a can of orange juice, and ice cubes are what you will need.
- One at a time put the ingredients into the blender.
- Until it becomes smooth, blend them with the ice cubes.
- Depending on what you want it to taste, you can change the amount of honey and citrus.
- It’s time to top it off with a dash of honey and some apples.
Autumn Apple Smoothie
- You can prepare frozen apple cubes, almond milk, plain yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey for this recipe.
- Take the ingredients and blend them.
- You can change the amount of honey to suit your tastes.
- You can get a slushier texture by combining ice and blending.
- It is a good idea to serve it with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Without sacrificing quality, freezing apples is a great way to keep the fruit preserved. When preparing your ingredients for a smoothie, pre-freezing apples saves you time.
They make a fun addition to the process of making ice cubes, depending on the way you freeze them. It’s a good idea to make apple pies and other treats with frozen apples.