If you’ve ever lived in the US, you’ve probably eaten beef sticks for a snack at least once in your life.
This snack is so delicious and addictive that you can’t get enough of it. You might find that the store-bought sticks are too bland for your taste.
Some can be consumed directly, while others may need to be refrigerated. They are also very expensive.
The only way to resolve these problems is to make your sticks at home. I will show you how to make beef sticks at home.
Different Methods to Make Beef Sticks
The beef sticks are made using natural or Collagen casings. If you want to make skinless beef sticks, you can skip the casings as well.
In this article, we will show you how to make a beef stick. If you can’t afford the natural ones, you can use the collagen ones as well.
It’s possible to use about 18 to 22mm of edible collagen. If you want to get the right taste and flavor in your beef sticks, you need to smoke the stuffed sticks for at least a couple of hours.
Wait for the internal temperature to come in at about 152 degrees F. To make the beef stick recipe suitable for your tastes, you can use any type of flavor and spice that you want.
In this article, we will discuss the two ways to make beef sticks.
- Making beef sticks in a smoker
- Making beef sticks in a dehydrator
- 8 lbs of beef chunk
- 7 tablespoons of snack sticks seasoning
- 1 tablespoon curing salt
- 19 to 21 mm collagen casings
Modified Ingredients you can try
- Instead of a full beef chunk, you can use equal amounts of beef and pork.
- If you want your seasoning spicy you can try to make it at your home.
- For this, you need to use equal amounts of black pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic.
- You can even use 50 grams of Fermento if you love the tangy flavor.
- Add mustard powder and celery seeds for the final touch.
How to Make Beef Sticks in your Home
- The grinding of the meat is the first step in the making of sticks.
- When the meat is at a temperature of 30 degrees F, it is a good time to grind it.
- Transfer the ground meat into a bowl immediately.
- The bowl should be kept in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the bowl out and grind the meat again, but this time with a small grinding blade.
- You can add whatever seasonings you want and knead the meat until all the seasoning blends perfectly with the meat.
- You should mix the meat with your hands for about 10 minutes.
- Add one glass of ice-cold water to the meat mixture and knead the contents for another 5 minutes, before you put it back in the fridge.
- Allow the meat mixture in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- After one hour, take out the meat and grind it again using the small grinding blades.
- This will help the spices and flavors blend well into the meat.
- You need to put a nozzle on the mixer if you are using a stand mixer. The nozzles should be stretched so that they cover up to 3 to 4 inches over them.
- You should get someone to help you push the meat in the stuffer if you want to make sure the meat slides over correctly.
- You don’t have to worry if you have a jerky gun.
Now you are ready to cook the meat. Here you can use two methods as we mentioned earlier.
Using a Smoker
- It is possible to get the best flavor out of the beef sticks by smoking. Smoke the sticks for an hour by preheating the smoker or grill around 100 degrees F.
- After smoking the beef for one hour, increase the temperature to 125 degrees F and allow the sticks to smoke inside for another four hours.
- After 4 hours, increase the smoker temperature to 180 degrees F and cook the sticks until the internal temperature of the meat comes down to 150 degrees F.
- Now, you can switch off the smoker.
- Let the beef wait for some time until it cools down so that you can get a perfect taste.
Using a Dehydrator
- Keep the beef sticks in the dehydrator and cook them until the temperature reaches 155 degrees F.
- By this time the sticks look like a sausage.
- To get a perfect beef stick you need to place them in the dehydrator for another eight to twelve hours.
- After twelve hours you can enjoy your beef stick with your favorite seasoning.
What is the shelf life of beef sticks refrigerated?
You can smoke beef sticks for a few days and refrigerate them to extend their freshness. The only caveat is that when they are smoked over wood fires and you smoke them in the open air, they do have a shorter shelf life.
Where do I get casings?
The casing is available in most supermarkets. I got mine from Whole Foods. You can find them online, but they are much cheaper at a supermarket.
What Is A Snack Stick?
Snack Sticks are just the thing to have when you’re hungry and need to be away from a table or other foods. Make them ahead of time, or grab them right out of the freezer! Answer: Snack Sticks are fun for kids. All you have to do is follow these tips and you’ll have the best homemade snack sticks at your next party.
So, I am sure that you will love these delicious beef sticks. There are many techniques to prepare beef sticks. But these two are the most popular ones.
If you love experimenting with the food you can try different versions. If they work you can enjoy a great taste of recipes. Sure it will motivate you to experiment with some other foods.