The best and most popular fish in the world is the one that is known as marlin. It is a large predatory fish that is known for its powerful muscles. If you don’t know what it is and what it looks like then I would suggest you check it out on the internet.
It is one of the biggest fish species that can grow up to 12 meters in length. And yes, it can live up to 30 years in the ocean. If you want to cook it or eat it, then you need to know that it has some specific qualities that make it special.
Smoked marlin is the best way to eat marlin. If you love fish dishes then smoked marlin is the best choice for you. You should try this dish as it will make your taste buds dance.
Table of Contents
How to Make Smoked Marlin in the Classic Smoker?
The time that the fish needs to be soaked in the brine and the time it needs to be smoked depends on the cut type and weight of the fish, so before knowing more about this recipe, you should know some basic tips.
The brining time needs to be 30 minutes if the weight of one piece is less than 1/3lb. The brining time needs to be increased by 15 minutes for every additional quarter pound of weight.
If you use a big fish size, where every piece weighs about 5 lbs, you should soak it in brine for hours.
The fish should be smoked at a higher temperature than 190 degrees. The time for smoking depends on how much fish you have.
If the weight of the pieces is less than 1/2lb, you should smoke them for 1.5 hours. You need to increase the smoking time by 30 minutes for every 1/2lb additional weight of the fish.
We will take a look at the ingredients and the process of cooking smoked marlin in the following sections.
Things You Need
Here are the things you need for preparing the smoked marlin:
- A smoker or a gas grill.
- 15 to 20 logs of wood.
- Water – ¾ gallons
- Apple juice – 2 cups
- Soy sauce – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – ¾ cup
- Kosher salt – ¼ cup
- Pepper (whole) – 1 tablespoon
- Minced garlic – 1 clove
- Bay leaves – 5
- Zipper lock bags – a few
How to Cut Marlin for Smoking
If you want to know how to make smoked marlin the right way, here’s a step-by-step process you need to follow:
- Add all of the ingredients to a big bowl. Mix the content until it blends properly.
- The contents should be settled in the bowl for a bit.
- Now, you can proceed to cut the Marlin.
- You can give different cuts to the fish, such as 6 inch long strips, fillet steaks, and big chunks.
- When you cut each type, dip the pieces in brine solution and seal them in 1-gallon zip-up packs.
- Once you have filled the packs with the pieces, pour 1 or 2 cups of brine solution in each of them, before you seal them tightly.
- Now you have well-sealed zipper packs where the fish are soaking in the brine solution.
- Allow the fish to soak in the mixture for about 8 to 12 hours after you place the packs in the refrigerator.
- The smoker needs to be prepared by adding wood and lighting the fire. You can use any smoker that you have.
- The temperature of the smoker needs to be around 200 to 225 degrees F.
- Take the fish out of the packs and wipe the brine solution from them so that the smoked flavor can enter all of the fish.
- Carefully place your marlin pieces on the sheet that was kept on the smoker.
- You don’t want to overcook the strips, so make sure you keep them far away from the fire.
- Once you have reached a temperature of 140 degrees F you can remove the strips from the smoker. This could take about two hours.
- The steaks and roast have to be kept in the smoker.
- Once the steaks reach a temperature of 160 degrees F, they should be removed from the smoker. This will take about 3 to 5 hours to cook.
- When the temperature of the smoker reaches 160 degrees F, you can remove the roast from it. It will take between 8 to 10 hours to get smoked completely.
How Long Does Smoked Marlin Last?
Marlin should be refrigerated right after you take it off the grill, but we recommend eating it the day you catch it and freezing the remainder for later use.
It’s not necessary to freeze all of your marlins; just freeze enough to last until the next time you plan to make it.
Store the marlin in heavy-duty freezer-specific plastic bags by wrapping them with air-tight aluminum foil.
Before putting the marlins in the refrigerator, make sure they are stored in well-sealed packages.
The smoked marlins taste good for about 2 to 3 weeks after they’re sealed. If you put them in the freezer, they will taste great for anywhere from 3 to 6 months.
However, If the seals are opened, this time limit is not applicable. If you opened the package, you should eat the fish within 3 days, regardless of whether you kept it in the refrigerator or freezer.
What is the difference between smoked ahi and marlin?
Marlin is a large, game fish that is prized for its meaty flesh and high-fat content. It can weigh more than 200 pounds and can grow up to six feet long. Smoked ahi is a Hawaiian-style raw fish salad often served with rice, sambal (a spicy pepper paste), and other toppings. The fish is then lightly smoked in a fire-proof container over wood and charcoal. This process gives the ahi an intense flavor and a unique color.
How to cook smoked marlin with cream cheese?
The secret is in the marinade. Marinate the fish for several hours or overnight. Remove the skin. Slice and season fish with salt and pepper. Use olive oil and lemon juice to brush the fish. Sprinkle with paprika, then grill on a hot charcoal grill or bake in a preheated oven for eight minutes per inch of thickness. Serve with horseradish sauce.
How to make a salad with smoked marlin?
Marinade for at least an hour. Start by cutting off the head and gutting the fish. Remove the skin and any other bits of meat from the belly. Put it in a container and add oil, lemon juice, a little salt, black pepper, garlic, and whatever spices or herbs you like.
When is the best time to smoke Marlin?
It depends on the weather, but when you are in Florida or near the tropics the best time to smoke is March to May. It’s best if you can do it about 12 months before fishing and it’s easier to cure after 4 weeks if you don’t wait that long.
I hope you have liked my post about how to make smoked marlin. If you want to learn how to cook other types of fish like salmon, trout, or tuna, then you can follow my post. You will also get several recipes for different fish. So, enjoy the post and share it with your friends.
Foodie and a passionate cook, I am here to share all of what I know about cooking, kitchen, and food prepping.
Follow me for delicious and healthy recipes.