It’s never been easier to make smoked pulled chicken. I’m talking about pulling smoked chicken off the bone using just a few ingredients.
The easiest way to make smoked pulled chicken is with a smoker. This blog will help you to cook a perfect smoked pulled chicken.
How to prepare smoked pulled chicken?
Before getting ready for the preparation the first step is to bring the meat to smoke it. Also, you need to prepare a brine solution before starting the process.
Soak these chicken pieces for a few hours so that the flavors will sink deep into them.
Here are some of the ingredients you need to use to prepare the brine solution. You can use this solution for three to four pounds of chicken.
- Water – 3 gallons
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 cup
- Kosher Salt – ½ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Apples – 3 (Diced)
- Chopped Celery – 3 stalks
Steps to prepare smoked pulled chicken recipe:
- First, boil the water on a medium flame. Make sure the brown sugar and the salt is completely dissolved.
- Turn off the flame. Let the water reaches room temperature. You need to add a few other ingredients.
- Now mix all these in the previously prepared brine solution.
- Place the chicken pieces in a zipper bag.
- Now pour the brine solution into the zipper bags and close it completely.
- Place these zipper bags inside the refrigerator and let them there for 12 hours.
- If you have more time you can even let it there for 24 hours.
Smoking the Brined chicken
Here are simple steps to be followed to smoke the brined chicken.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and drain the brine solution completely. Wipe it with a clean cloth until the meat piece is dry.
- Now it is time to rub the mixture on the meat piece. You can use the following ingredients (mentioned below) to prepare the rub mixture.
- Coat the chicken with rub mixture nicely so that the flavors will penetrate deep.
- Allow the meat to rest for thirty minutes before you began smoking.
Ingredients needed to prepare the rub mixture:
- Equal amounts of paprika and brown sugar.
- Equal amounts of garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper powder.
- A small quantity of onion powder.
Actual smoking process:
- Set the smoker to 230 or 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Smoke the chicken for about two to three hours.
- After two hours check the internal temperatures regularly.
- Stop cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now please take out the meat and let it rest for thirty minutes.
- That’s all. You can now taste your smoked pulled chicken.
What temperature do you pull chicken?
Smoking is the art of heat retention. Smoked meats need to be cooked at a slow and steady rate to prevent the moisture from boiling off.
In general, smoked poultry is cooked until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit and it can last for up to one week.
Most restaurants use a smoke gun with a digital temperature probe to make sure their food is safe to eat. It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for smoking.
How long do you smoke chicken?
I cook my whole chickens at 200 degrees F (94 C) for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, then smoke them at 200 degrees F (94 C) for 4 to 5 hours more.
They are done when they easily pull apart. It takes between 2 to 4 hours of smoking time depending on how thick your chicken is.
What type of wood is best for smoking chicken?
I’m going to go with Hickory. It has a nice nutty taste. If you like a sweet and smoky flavor you could try Cherry, Apple, or Plum wood for a sweeter taste.
You can smoke a whole bird for 6-8 hours in your oven, or smoke parts and keep them refrigerated for up to a week.
If you don’t smoke the chicken, then it can be used in recipes right away. Chicken is very versatile in cooking.
What makes a good pulled chicken recipe?
Smoking is a very convenient way to cook food that keeps the meat moist and tender, but most chicken is sold smoked already.
If you’re not sure how to smoke chicken or other meats, you can read more about smoking in our article on smoking beef.
Chicken is easy to smoke, and it’s one of the first things we do with our barbecue cookstove when it comes to cooking over fire.
Pulled chicken is very common in barbecue competitions, but it takes a few steps to make it.
Can I use chopped onion instead of grated?
Yes! Use onions of any size. You may need more or less depending on how much food you’re serving, but generally, I like to add about 2-3 cups for a 5-6 quart cooker. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 9 hours.
The texture should be quite moist and juicy. If it’s not moist enough, add a bit more liquid when serving.
What cut of chicken is best for smoked pulled chicken?
It is best to use a cut of chicken with bones like the chicken thighs and leg quarters. The thigh and leg are best for this because they are thick enough to hold the meat on the bone.
If the chicken does not have a bone or there is no bone, use the breast.
How much does the 5lbs raw chicken produce?
One large (2.3kg) free-range chicken can produce 4-5lbs of meat in a week. The chicken is usually sold in pieces and the breasts are more expensive than the legs or thighs.
If you buy a whole chicken, you can freeze it for future use. The legs, thighs, and wings are generally tougher than the breasts.
I like to use my kitchen knife to cut the chicken in half through the breastbone. Then I pull the chicken apart, discarding the bone. You don’t need to defrost the chicken before cooking.
I hope that this post about how to smoke pulled chicken will be useful to you. Follow the simple steps mentioned in this bog and you are ready to go with a perfectly smoked pulled chicken.
Foodie and a passionate cook, I am here to share all of what I know about cooking, kitchen, and food prepping.
Follow me for delicious and healthy recipes.