Can You Clean a Chest Freezer with Bleach?
There is a tight seal on your chest freezer, but it doesn’t mean it can’t get dirty. It is time to clean the appliance if you were greeted with unknown smells after opening your freezer.
Are you able to clean the chest freezer with bleach? The experts were asked to help find a solution to the concern.
It’s possible to clean a chest freezer with bleach. To make sure a proper and deep clean, you need to use the right ratio of the materials.
A gallon of water is enough to mix 1 tablespoon of liquid bleach.
Here is a quick guide on how to clean your freezer with a bleach solution after you have that mixture.
- Some drawers and shelves need to be taken out.
- They should wash those parts with hot water and liquid detergent.
- It’s a good idea to dry those things with a towel.
- Take a clean towel and wipe the inside of the chest freezer.
- If you want to make sure the device is safe, dip a sponge or another towel in the bleach mixture.
- The parts and non-spoiled foods should be put into the chest freezer.
The process of cleaning a chest freezer with bleach is easy. Adding some details to the procedure will help you maximize the results.
Continue reading if you want to learn more about those specifics.
You can find other ways to clean chest freezers and how to remove mold from the appliance, as well as other pieces of relevant information.
How Can I Clean a Chest Freezer?
If you want to clean your chest freezers, you can remove the food from the appliance and then thaw it afterward.
Defrosting is a vital step, but it is not the entire operation that needs to be considered. If you want to clean your chest freezer, you need to use bleach.
Things You’ll Need
- Rubber gloves
- Sealed bags
- Hot water and liquid detergent solution
- Clean towels
- Water and bleach mixture
- The rubber gloves should be worn before proceeding.
- It’s a good idea to make sure your safety is protected as you clean your chest freezer.
- Take the food out of the chest freezer and put it in sealed bags.
- Put the spoiled foods in the garbage bin after you put them inside the bags.
- Take out all the drawers and shelves from the chest freezer.
- The objects should be washed with hot water and liquid detergent solution.
- Drying these items with clean towels is the best way to go.
- To clean the inside of the chest freezer, use a mixture of water and detergent.
- The soapy suds can be removed by rinsing the areas with clean water.
- One gallon of water is the amount of bleach that you should mix into it.
- The chest freezer should be given a deep clean by dipping the clean towels into the bleach mixture.
- The foods should be put into the chest freezer after the items are returned.
It is a good idea to wash your hands after cleaning your chest freezer.
The rubber gloves helped in preventing skin contact with bleach, but it’s never a good idea to be too careful handling certain chemicals.
Make sure that you don’t spend a lot of time cleaning your chest freezer.
According to an article from the US Food and Drug Administration, frozen food lasts about four hours outside. High risks of food spoilage will be promoted by exceeding that period.
How Can I Clean My Freezer Without Turning It Off?
It is a good idea to turn off the freezer before you clean it.
If you’re only doing routine maintenance, you can still clean the device without turning it off. There is a quick guide on how to do that.
- All the food and other items should be emptied from the freezer.
- Use clean towels to clean the interior.
- It is a good idea to use a mild cleaning solution for the spray.
- Put another set of clean towels in the soapy mess.
- Remove the items and put them back into the freezer.
Is It Possible to Get Rid of Ice Build up in My Freezer?
Different techniques can be used to help thaw your freezer. The techniques range from waiting for the ice to melt to the help of objects like blow dryers or fans.
It’s a good idea to put a water-absorbent material on the floor around your freezer because the melted ice can leave a watery mess.
There is excess water from the melted ice that needs to be cleaned with a mop and bucket.
Does Freezer Kills Mold?
According to the substance’s description from the FSEC Energy Research Center, freezing temperatures don’t kill mold.
The cold will only cause the substance to go into a state of hibernation.
Once the environment returns to a more pleasant temperature, the mold will reanimate, allowing it to keep growing inside the device.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold in a Freezer?
Excess humidity can cause mold to grow in your chest freezer. Fortunately, you can eliminate this substance with the help of the following processes.
- The food needs to be removed from the freezer.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle after mixing equal parts of water and white vinegar.
- You can target the moldy areas by spraying the insides of the freezer.
- It is a good idea to use clean paper towels to clean up messes.
- The moldy paper towels should be thrown in a trash bag.
- It is necessary to spray as many times as necessary to remove the substance completely.
If the chest freezer has a serious case of mold, you can spray the interior with a solution of water and vinegar.
Put the mixture in a container and let it sit for 20 minutes before wiping the mess off the paper towels.
If you want to make sure the device is safe, apply a mixture of bleach in a gallon of water to the freezer’s interior.
Failure to remove all of the molds in the device will result in food being spoiled and a smelly freezer interior.
How Can I Get Rid Of The Smell In My Chest Freezer?
It’s a good idea to open a chest freezer with an unpleasant smell. This smell can come from a variety of things, such as spoiled food.
Baking soda and activated charcoal are products that can be used to help you in this endeavor.
Baking soda or activated charcoal should be placed in a smelly chest freezer.
Wait for a few days and then close the lid. Foul odors can be absorbed by these substances, which make the device smell clean and fresh.
How Often Do I Need to Clean a Chest Freezer?
It is recommended that you clean your chest freezer frequently. Depending on the severity of the concern, the length and intensity of the process can be different.
If the device gets dirty frequently, you should clean your chest freezer more often than usual. It’s a good idea to clean a chest freezer weekly to prevent long-term issues.
If you haven’t cleaned the appliance in a while, you can use a water and bleach solution and follow the steps mentioned above to give the device a deep clean.
The mixture of bleach and water can be used to clean the chest freezer. When handling bleach and other harsh chemicals, always remember to protect yourself.
When you are giving your chest freezer a deep clean, use rubber gloves to protect your hands and arms.
It is recommended that you don’t spend a lot of time cleaning the device as the food taken out will be at risk of spoiling.
Foodie and a passionate cook, I am here to share all of what I know about cooking, kitchen, and food prepping.
Follow me for delicious and healthy recipes.